Mortgage Loan

Freedom from the Housing Trap | Zack Giffin | TEDxCoconutGrove

Very small dwelling builder, Zack Giffin, shares his enthusiasm for very small dwelling as a device for monetary flexibility in his speak “Freedom From The Housing Trap.”

Zack Giffin is a nicely known advocate of the very small dwelling motion and host of the popular tv demonstrate, Very small Dwelling Nation. A home builder and carpenter by trade, Zack has labored his daily life all around outside adventures, ultimately turning his enthusiasm for backcountry snowboarding into an occupation. A longtime practitioner of simple dwelling Zack was by natural means drawn to the Very small Dwelling motion and in 2011 constructed his individual very small ski chalet on wheels. Zack’s operate-primarily based use of house and creative multi-objective layouts have turn into a calling card of his perform and reputation.

This speak was offered at a TEDx function using the TED conference format but independently structured by a community neighborhood. Master far more at

resource

1. I'm buying one. Its called. Mobile home lol

2. The speaker sounds like Andy from The Office.

3. But there’s no place to park a tiny house. The only solution is to build Tower cities connected to maglev Trains (T&T), but the problems with that is that most people can’t afford to live in a Tower city, which is caused by wage slavery. If there was equal wealth, then every person in every nation could live in one. The wage is the cause of world poverty because it’s slavery: controlled by someone or something. We never should have built any cars or houses, because it killed millions of people. We should have built only T&T. The world is a mess.

4. Freedom from the Housing Trap: TENTS

5. zoning officials shouldn't be concerned with property value, people should be able to live small if they want, and why does it lower other houses property value anyway, my property isnt your property. i dont get it. its like discrimination.

6. Love 😊😊😊😊 53 Single no kids…I'm in x

7. He is good simple explanation

8. I love this man ❤
    I've never felt brave in my life but for a tiny house I'm willing to be a pioneer. I want to help tiny houses become legal everywhere. They're amazing and I feel like everyone should have the opportunity to afford a place to live.

9. Tiny house episodes are my favourite…
    Zack really love u… Ur superb n ur great ideas that has almost solutions for everything.. u r 😘😘

10. Enlightening talk. A TH is better than no home. Change has got to start somewhere. Necessity breeds invention.

11. This dude is smart.

12. Overcomplicated blah blah…All you really need is an 8'x8'x8' room, double walls with a vacuum space between rather than insulation (2" and doesn't have to be a strong vacuum) easily sealed with the same old paint you use anyway, but check and maybe reapply vacuum twice per year like topping up your tires. Maybe put an 8' shelf along one wall above head height, a 3'x3' wetroom, and a gantry on rails. The rest is simple, and you can figure it out to suit personal taste. If it seems small, GO OUTSIDE! 🙂

13. Brilliant – such a clear explanation and one that addresses such a huge problem. Thank you for such a humane talk, because 'home' is so crucial for all of us. I live in England where there is virtually no provision made for tiny house owners to buy/rent land to live on. To be honest I managed for 10 years but have now decided to move abroad where I can afford to rent. I will be honest and say that although I love my small home there were downsides even though it was a great adventure.

14. once enough people adopt tiny houses, the market will adjust and it will be just as expensive as a normal house is today. Then we really are trapped for good.

15. I from India Im biggest fan of him

16. BRAVO!!!!!

17. Non,non,non. A tiny house is a super heavy trailer that can be difficult to move. This is another compromise. Just saying, there are millions of americans living in areas that do not address the basic needs of humans that do not earn an income to compete in an inflated housing market. I THINK, many people are trying to avoid facing their own poverty. SURE DONT WANT TO BE THAT GUY! HA HA HA

18. This whole thing is all a trap bruh! 😩

19. Unless you build it 100% on your own, tiny houses are ridiculously expensive for what they are. 90 grand for a 300sqft wooden trailer? That's not an exaggeration. I looked into this for quite a while. Not even close to worth it if you buy one from someone like him. I've built my own for 16k with every comfort. Don't buy, build.

20. So what i got out of this is we have a population problem and space or land is starting to become a real issue. The wealthy are still stable but the poor are at risk of homelessness or dare i say becoming the definition of slaves where their income does not provide enough for their basic needs. So then the solution here is to move them into tiny houses and make it seem enticing instead of figuring out a way to evenly distribute the cash flow across the nation (the rich have a decrease of income and the poor have an increase). Or restricting the amount of land one person can own so then a wealthy family doesn't live in a castle on 3,000 acres while a poor family is crammed into a sardine can.

21. Great, passionate talk Zack!

22. I'm the true fan of yours from India and I really love you Zack Griffin sir. 😀

23. Well said Zack! I'm in!! I can't wait to get started on getting a THOW✌🏾 THX

24. Thank you for doing this video. The tiny house movement right now, like you said IS a reaction, it's a revolution in my opinion. My husband and I are taking the plunge right now. We're selling the big house, along with the giant mortgage and giant monthly bills to maintain it (and the house and yard work), and renovating our off-grid cabin in Maine (12×28) into a year round home so that we can retire early. While our tiny house is not on wheels, the concept for us is exactly the same and for all the reasons you discussed in this video. The house has become the central focal point of our lives, and not in a good way, and we're done. We're not getting any younger at 55 and 57, and we have PLANS! Plans to travel, plans to live every moment, plans to savor every breath . . . rather than work like dogs to support the house until the day we die. I don't know what happened to our society, but it's not what my grandparents lived with. It's a cycle that we're getting out of. Love your show and love your creativity! CHRISTINE

25. Tiny houses are great until you decide to have children. Put 5 people in a tiny house with all their clothing, the necessary food, book bags, laptops, toys, beds, etc. How 'tiny' would the house actually be to accommodate?

26. Best day of my life? Selling my waterfront home in South Florida. Why? I bought it for $115,000. Taxes and insurance made the payments $1,100 a month. I lived there for 3 years, then…… Hurricanes HIT 4x in 8 weeks. To make a story short, my insurance and tax payments escalated to $1,800 a month, more than my PRINCIPAL AND INTEREST. Go figure. Don't ask me why. I sold May of 2008, the next month THE CRASH HIT. Homes, by the 1,000 went on the market. Whew!!! I did feel bad for the buyer. He's still there and hopefully happy. Prices came back and he is at break even. I bought for $115k sold for $270,000 3 years later. Will never buy a big house again. Live simply. Less is better. Freedom.

27. I own 5.5 acres of land in metro Portland Or. I think putting tiny homes on it would be a good option. I'm planning to sell so was looking at comparable land valuations and saw a 2.5 acre site that was approved for 65 condo townhomes or 100 apartments. That is 25 and 40 per acre. Of course these are multi story buildings.

I am actually afraid to let anyone on to my property because I become responsible for everything that happens. How does a property owner deal with all the legal issues? When a person domiciles somewhere they have the same rights as the land owner but not the responsibility. Then there is the utility fees. Where one landowner should be able to allow everyone to share a sewer, water, electric, cable hook up but the powers that be decide each unit has to have its own account. Lots of work to do on the concept it seems. Its easier just to park it on public land.